DID YOU KNOW THAT THE USE OF “TAKE AWAY” FOOD HAS INCREASED WITH THE PANDEMIC AND, AS A CONSEQUENCE, THE CONSUMPTION OF SINGLE USE PLASTIC HAS INCREASED? DID YOU KNOW THAT WITH ALL THE PLASTIC GENERATED IN THE LAST 100 YEARS, THE PLANET COULD BE LINED WITH PLASTIC 6 TIMES? THAT THE FIRST PLASTIC APPEARED IN 1909? DID YOU KNOW THAT WE USE PLASTIC BAGS FOR 12 MINUTES ON AVERAGE, BUT THAT THEIR ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS LAST HUNDRED OR THOUSANDS OF YEARS?
An added problem is that a very high percentage of plastic is not recycled, thus ending up in landfills and in our oceans and in our fish and, at the end of the chain, in our stomachs as well. It is clear that the “Take Away” business model has come to stay, at least for the duration of the pandemic and its consequences. We must avoid at all costs that this new habit takes us backwards, towards single-use plastic, the one that we already had almost out of our heads and out of our lives. Therefore, for the good of the planet and our own health, the challenge this month is to use packaging that does not produce waste.
Challenge: A picture of Packages to take away without producing residues
It is essential that we use and reclaim recycled, recyclable or compostable packaging. The objective is to avoid single-use plastics and not generate any type of waste. How? With reusable packaging. Of course, we all have to become aware and start acting responsibly because if not, once again the one that will lose out will be the same as always, Nature and, in the long run, humanity itself.
Advantages of Recycled, Recyclable or Reusable Containers for both food and drink:
– The extraction of limited natural resources is avoided.
– It is possible to reduce the habit of “one use only”.
– It encourages new businesses that promote circular economies.
– Reduces global warming of the planet.
– If you regularly use reusable packaging, you will save money in the long run.
– Pollution of our cities, seas and mountains would be avoided.
– In addition, single-use packaging will have to pay a tax, starting in 2021, in Europe.